Vertical Leap, one of the UK’s top digital marketing agencies, and part of the Sideshow group, is looking for an experienced, client-facing junior designer to join its creative team.
This is an opportunity for a talented junior designer to make their mark with a forward-thinking and friendly design team. You will be creative, technically-precise and capable of working across many disciplines including UX, web, digital display, exhibitions, sales-enablement and brand identity. This job would suit a junior designer with solid experience in web and print design, and who is willing to learn and develop new skills to progress the team portfolio.
- To use your design skills towards the creation of marketing materials, websites and other design products for Vertical Leap’s large client base.
- Work collaboratively alongside the designer and wider creative team to deliver high-quality creative to time, cost and quality standards.
- Work with client and agency branding guidelines to provide concept designs in response to a client brief.
- Produce clear visuals to explain a design approach.
- Design to a budget using best practice considerations, and accurately estimate time needed for work.
- Work under pressure to tight deadlines.
- Ability to take feedback and direction positively.
- Client-facing and competent in meetings and/or client pitches.
- To work as part of a creative team and self-manage time versus output effectively
The ideal candidate
- An excellent working knowledge of the Adobe suite of products and other associated tools to get the job done (Photoshop, Illustrator & InDesign essential, Xd/Sketch & Premier Pro would be a bonus)
- Good design awareness (e.g. a solid understanding of typography and layout design).
- Strong attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Knows what good UX looks like.
- A keen approach towards self-learning and development in this role.
- A degree in a design centred course, or equivalent experience (your work/experience should speak for you).
- A portfolio of previous designs, projects and accomplishments.
The creative team is a talented, friendly and supportive group of designers, developers and UX specialists. We have a varied and interesting workload consisting of a mix of retainers and project work, so there’s opportunity to build strong relationships with clients and get to know their brands.
We are relaxed and informal in the office and enjoy jokes and cat GIFs, but we also work hard, focus and get stuff done when we need to.
We are always looking to develop and add to our skill-sets, and keep up to date with trends and developments in our respective fields.
We have regular team lunches and drinks as well as joining in with company-wide events. We also enjoy tea. A LOT of tea.
What we give you:
- Laptop and two monitors
- Your choice of software
- Control over your own work, no hovering management
- Positive environment with a focus on learning and development
- Access to a variety of experienced colleagues who are all happy to help, so you don’t have to wear non-design hats (unless you want to)
- You’ll work on small & large, straightforward & complex projects, so there’s plenty of opportunity to grow as a designer
- Entirely optional company activities (e.g. beer Friday, yoga)
- Periodic homemade cake
- Fun, collaborative culture
- 22-25 days of holiday per year
- 5-10 days training per year
- Self-scheduled working hours – any 8 hour period between 7am and 7pm
- Value on leadership and autonomy
- Child care voucher / cycle to work scheme access
- Opportunities for growth (and a growing company!)
- Fantastic office located inside Portsmouth’s Historic Dockyard
How to apply for this design job:
Please apply in confidence to Kirsty McLean at kmclean(at)vertical-leap(dot)uk including your portfolio