Vertical Leap, one of the UK’s top search and digital agencies, seeks a bright and experienced designer to support our existing creative services and be part of the ongoing growth of the team.
This job is based either remotely, in our Portsmouth office, or a combination of both.
You will be directly working alongside our talented and friendly team of web developers, designers and UX specialists.
This is an opportunity for a talented designer to make their mark with a forward-thinking and friendly design team. You will be creative, technically-precise and capable of working across many disciplines including UX, web, digital display, exhibitions, sales-enablement and brand identity. This job would suit a designer with solid experience in web design particularly, and who is willing to learn and develop new skills to progress the team portfolio.
- To use your design skills towards the creation of websites, marketing materials and other design products for Vertical Leap’s large and varied client base.
- Work collaboratively alongside the design and wider creative team to deliver high-quality creative to time, cost and quality standards.
- Work with client and agency branding guidelines to provide concept designs in response to a client brief.
- Produce clear visuals to explain a design approach.
- Design to a budget using best practice considerations, and accurately estimate time needed for work.
- Work under pressure to tight deadlines.
- Ability to both give and receive feedback and direction positively.
- Client-facing and competent in meetings and/or client pitches.
- Support with planning and running design/user journey workshops with clients.
- To work as part of a creative team and self-manage time versus output effectively.
- Keen to learn and develop new skills, and share knowledge with the rest of the team.
The ideal candidate
- An excellent working knowledge of the standard products and other associated tools to get the job done (Figma, Photoshop, Illustrator & InDesign. Premier Pro/After Effects would be a bonus)
- Good design awareness (e.g. a solid understanding of typography and layout design).
- Strong attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Knows what good UX looks like.
- A keen approach towards self-learning and development in this role.
- A degree in a design centred course, or equivalent experience (your work/experience should speak for you).
The creative team is a talented, friendly and supportive group of people. We have a varied and interesting workload consisting of a mix of retainers and project work, so there’s an opportunity to build strong relationships with clients and get to know their brands.
We are relaxed and informal in the office or at home and enjoy jokes and cat GIFs, but we also work hard, focus and get stuff done when we need to. We value work/life balance and have a strong focus on wellbeing.
We are always looking to develop and add to our skill-sets, and keep up to date with trends and developments in our respective fields, so any new skills you can bring to the table would be appreciated.
We have regular team lunches and drinks (when it’s safe to do so) as well as joining in with company-wide events. We also enjoy tea. A LOT of tea.
What we give you
- Laptop and monitors.
- Your choice of Mac or PC, and a £200 home office setup budget.
- Positive environment with a focus on learning and development.
- Access to a variety of experienced colleagues who are all happy to help, so you’ll have access a great support network.
- You’ll work on small & large, straightforward & complex projects, so there’s plenty of opportunity to grow as a designer.
- Entirely optional company activities (e.g. beer Friday, yoga, quizzes).
- Periodic homemade cake.
- Relaxed, collaborative culture where autonomy is valued and encouraged
- 22-25 days of holiday per year, plus your birthday off
- Self-scheduled/flexible working hours, and the ability to work from home or in the office entirely dependent on your own preference (candidate must be able to visit Portsmouth office for regular team and client meetings)
- Cycle to work scheme access
- Opportunities for growth and development within a growing company
- Private pension and healthcare scheme (after qualifying time period)
- Fantastic office located inside Portsmouth’s Historic Dockyard
WFH is currently encouraged (although candidate must be able to visit Portsmouth office for regular team and client meetings), all interviews to take place via Teams/Zoom. The office is fully Covid-safe with hand gel, optional masks, distancing etc.
How to apply
If you’d like to apply for this position, please email Kirsty McLean at email@example.com with your:
- Portfolio/link to portfolio/link to download portfolio
- Confirmation that you have a degree in a relevant subject OR equivalent experience